Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  I have represented individuals accused of crimes.

10-11 years ago, someone i knew engages in an act of pedophelia,

Customer Question

10-11 years ago, someone i knew engages in an act of pedophelia, this person was at the age of 16, now this person is 26 years of age, i am concerned about what criminal charges can be brought upon this person, even though this happend 10 yrs ago?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Are you the victim? Was this ever reported to the police?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry this took so long, but no i was not the victim, and it was never reported to the police sir.

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

The statute of limitations is 10 years. It is going to be close in terms of when the last incident happened and when it is reported. I would report it now, but it may be a bit too late.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, im sorry, one more thing, i meant this to be in that question, what are the possible punishments for this person, if they would be found guilty? and or if they were aqquited of this bcuz of time statute, is there some other sort of punishment that can be given to this person?
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
The possible punishments are tricky because it would depend on whether the DA would charge the person as an adult or a juvenile since the crime occurred when the person was a juvenile. He/she is probably looking at some confinement though.