Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
3396227

What does it mean when the Sheriff of your county comes to

Customer Question

What does it mean when the Sheriff of your county comes to your door looking for you? They have paperwork in their hand and they can't tell the person that answers the door what they are looking for you for. You weren't there at the time that they came looking for you. It can't possibly be anything like a warrant for that person's arrest when they know for a fact that they didn't do anything wrong to deserve a warrant for their arrest? What should this person do in this case?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 4 years ago.

DearCustomer- You really don't have to do anything or you can simply call the sheriff's office and ask if they have something for you to pick up. This is likely a civil suit of some kind for some bill that is owning or some other civil matter.If you haven't committed any crimes or are a possible witness in an ongoing case I would have to say that this is likely some civil court matter.

If you don't call the sheriff you will have to wait until they visit again to find out what this involves.

Dave Kennett

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much with your answer. the person that i am talking about has a cousin that i recently heard is hiding out at someone else's house, he must've done something wrong. they used to live together so i'm wondering if maybe the sheriff wanted to ask him a couple questions and see if he knew anything. the place that they used to live in got busted for drugs, but he was not living there anymore and was not involved in any way with the drugs. does it have anything to do with child support? he's already paying for child support. I just don't want this person to get locked up, especially for something they didn't do

Well I certainly have no way of knowing in this particular case why the sheriff would have been there. If there was paperwork then there is something that he wanted to serve on the person so it could be a warrant for arrest, a civil suit or eviction or a variety of other things. As I said, until the person contacts the sheriff it will be impossible to know for certain.

He can contact an attorney if he is afraid of some criminal charge and the attorney can contact the sheriff but no one else can represent him in the matter except for an attorney or himself.

Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry for making you repeat yourself. i just worry like crazy. a lawyer also contacted the household looking for the person. now this person moved out of state a few months ago to start another job, if they really wanted to arrest him, would they send the police to find him in the new state? recently his friend got into a fight with him which involved the police. he didn't get in trouble but they checked his record, which came back clean making me wonder why they would possibly have a warrant for him. again, i really really appreciate your help!

I didn't say there was a warrant only that it was possible. If a lawyer called then that would indicate that it was a civil matter rather than criminal but I'm only guessing. I wish I could answer the question as to what the sheriff wanted but I have no way of knowing. Based on the facts it could be a civil or criminal complaint. Someone needs to contact the sheriff or look on line in the county records to see what, if anything has been filed.

Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you : ) where do i go online to see if anything has been filed? and what does it mean when you say it can be a civil or criminal complaint? is that different from actually being convicted for something? like does that mean that someone called and filed a complaint on him? how does someone file a criminal complaint on someone?

A criminal complaint would be filed by the police or prosecutor as a result of someone pressing charges. A civil complaint is filed by an individual or company, usually for money damages, but sometimes for other things like evictions or divorce etc. None of this means there has been any conviction unless this person had a trial or pled guilty to something.

I'm not a computer expert but most counties have websites where you can check both criminal and civil court records to see what has been filed.

Dave

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you. he hasn't had a trial or pled guilty for anything. i hope my dad didn't file anything against him because he hates this person because we are dating and he will try and do anything to break us up. oh my god, i just thought of something. last year my mom came up to my job and told my manager that my father had a gun and was gonna go take care of that ni**er. he is african american and i'm white. so me and him were concerned for his safety. long story short, there was a report made that he threatened my father's life. that is not true whatsoever. the police officer that filed this report was totally wrong. mistreated me, detained me even tho i had done nothing wrong, and forced me to go back home with my parents even tho i was of age to choose not to. can my dad go to the police and say he wants to press charges for that threat that was reported, which is not true, i was a witness to what was said.

As I said, it could be anything. You can drive yourself crazy trying to guess at all these things but until you or someone can access the public records to find out for certain you will never know.

Dave