J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
15393114

can a felon deerhunt with a muzzleloader i north carolina

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.

No and Yes.

A felon can possess an "antique firearm". under North Carolina law This would include certain muzzleloaders and exclude others (e.g. those with exchangeable barrels).

Here is the definition of an "antique firearm":

An "antique firearm" is one that was manufactured on or before 1898 and includes any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar ignition system, or a replica thereof if the replica is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition. It also includes any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-409(a) The term "antique firearm" shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver; is converted into a muzzle loading weapon; or is a muzzle loading weapon that can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechlock, or any combination thereof."

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.