J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
15393114

Can a felon hunt with a bow in new york state

Customer Question

can a felon hunt with a bow in new york state
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 7 years ago.

A traditional bow or compound bow is not considered a "firearm" under New York or federal law regarding restricting felons from firearm possession. There is some controversy over crossbows. If you aren't interested in crossbows, then you can hunt. If you want to use a crossbow, you should petition to have your rights restored before engaging in that pursuit.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.

In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.