AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

what does a theft (class D felony) mean

what does a theft (class D felony) mean
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

The theft statute in Indiana which refers to theft as a Class D Felony is Indiana Code 35-42-4-2. The statute reads, in relevant part, as follows:

IC 35-43-4-2
Theft; receiving stolen property
Sec. 2. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally exerts unauthorized control over property of another person, with intent to deprive the other person of any part of its value or use, commits theft, a Class D felony.

The penalty for Class D Felony theft ranging from 6 months to 3 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine. IC 35-50-2-7.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Good luck,

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/services. Correspondence through JustAnswer may be visible to the public. If you need legal advice/services you should seek, in person, a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at or