Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.

what are the laws on baiting or lureing a child I need

Customer Question

what are the laws on baiting or lureing a child???? I need to know before i take any legaql acations.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Thank you for bringing your question to Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

In order to answer your question, I need more information. It would be helpful to know more specifics about the situation that you believe constitutes baiting or luring.

Thanks!

Gloria M

IMPORTANT: I am not your attorney, and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. I am an experienced attorney licensed in Illinois, but I do not hold myself out as an "expert" in any area of law (Illinois does not recognize such attorney specializations). Any representation to the contrary by JustAnswer is in error. My function here is to provide education to the public so that people can understand the law and learn what they can do. If you accept my answer, you are accepting educational information. Please remember that this is a public forum and anything you discuss here is not protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not take any action or fail to take action based upon our discussion here. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im having a problem with a neighbor baiting my children over to her house or bus stop with candy. I am scared that she could try and do something.
HelloCustomer

It is not generally illegal to be friendly to children, absent some other illegal conduct. Neighbors are not generally committing crimes if they offer children a snack.

Since you are concerned, the best course of action would be to tell the neighbor that you want her to stop doing this, as you are trying to teach your children not to accept candy from anyone, for safety reasons. Then, you would want to tell your children to stay away from this woman, and all other people who offer them candy.

If the behavior continues, you could try to call the police anyway. The police have considerable discretion in whether to pursue charges against any person concerning their behavior. While it is unlikely that your neighbor is violating the criminal statutes in California, if the police agree to talk to her about her odd behavior, it might stop.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M