Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
1723468

Attention lawNinvest 1. What class of crime in Illinois

Customer Question

Attention: lawNinvest

1. What class of crime in Illinois is going to a store where you are prohibited because you stole something form there. It seems to be criminal trespass but not class A.

2.Being involved in a fight where there is a gathering of people. Is this mob action or disorderly conduct. What is its class and penalty? (In Illinois.)
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.

It is class B misdemeanor:

(720 ILCS 5/21-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 21-3)
Sec. 21-3. Criminal trespass to real property.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (a-5), whoever:
(1) knowingly and without lawful authority enters or
remains within or on a building; or
(2) enters upon the land of another, after receiving,
prior to such entry, notice from the owner or occupant that such entry is forbidden; or
(3) remains upon the land of another, after receiving
notice from the owner or occupant to depart; or
(3.5) presents false documents or falsely represents
his or her identity orally to the owner or occupant of a building or land in order to obtain permission from the owner or occupant to enter or remain in the building or on the land;
commits a Class B misdemeanor.

2.Being involved in a fight where there is a gathering of people. Is this mob action or disorderly conduct. What is its class and penalty?

A mob offense would be when there is a gather or assembly of people with the intent to disturb the peace. Disorderly conduct is based on certain actions, such as setting a false alarm. So if the question has nothing more specific it would be a mob offense.

Article 26 - Disorderly Conduct

What class and penalty would depend on its purpose:

(720 ILCS 5/25-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 25-1)
Sec. 25-1. Mob action.
(a) A person commits the offense of mob action when he or she engages in any of the following:
(1) the knowing or reckless use of force or violence
disturbing the public peace by 2 or more persons acting together and without authority of law;
(2) the knowing assembly of 2 or more persons with
the intent to commit or facilitate the commission of a felony or misdemeanor; or
(3) the knowing assembly of 2 or more persons,
without authority of law, for the purpose of doing violence to the person or property of anyone supposed to have been guilty of a violation of the law, or for the purpose of exercising correctional powers or regulative powers over any person by violence.
(b) Mob action as defined in paragraph (1) of subsection (a) is a Class 4 felony.
(c) Mob action as defined in paragraphs (2) and (3) of subsection (a) is a Class C misdemeanor.
(d) Any participant in a mob action that by violence inflicts injury to the person or property of another commits a Class 4 felony.
(e) Any participant in a mob action who does not withdraw on being commanded to do so by any peace officer commits a Class A misdemeanor.
(f) In addition to any other sentence that may be imposed, a court shall order any person convicted of mob action to perform community service for not less than 30 and not more than 120 hours, if community service is available in the jurisdiction and is funded and approved by the county board of the county where the offense was committed. In addition, whenever any person is placed on supervision for an alleged offense under this Section, the supervision shall be conditioned upon the performance of the community service.
This subsection does not apply when the court imposes a sentence of incarceration.
(Source: P.A. 96-710, eff. 1-1-10.)

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.