SavyLawyer
SavyLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience with misdemeanor and felony research
14926557

My son was given a ticket for a fireworks misdemeanor. A friend

My son was given a ticket for a fireworks misdemeanor. A friend of his shot off a couple of bottle rockets in front of his house while attending a party. My son did not buy the fireworks nor did he shoot any off. He didn't realize the offense until the police came to the door. It actually occured on his property but he was said to be the responsible party.

How should he plead regarding the offense? Can he be held accountable? The friend who had the fireworks was over 21.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting the just answer team.

He can be held responsible depending on what, exactly, they charged him with, but no, if the charge was misuse or illegal use of fireworks, I wouldn't plead guilty as they are going to have prove his responsibility, and just being responsible for the property is probably not sufficient. My advice, in order to keep the conviction off of his record, is to hire an attorney (it shouldn't be too much considering the offense involved) and pleading not guilty. For a referral to an attorney in your area of Ohio, you can contact the Ohio State Bar Association HERE.

I hope this helps, and thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take care