Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
1723468

1.What crime is entering a building of a former employer after

Customer Question

1.What crime is entering a building of a former employer after hours in Illinois. It's criminal trespass--at least that answer is "okay." But it is not a class A misdemeanor. What is it?

2. In Illinois it is illegal to have UNopened alcohol in a public building or a park. What is the crime? It is supposed to fall under a general principle about alcohol adopted in Illinois. But I can't find a reference to this.

3. Shooting with a bb gun or paintball gun or knowking down governmental property is Institutional Vandalism in Illinois. But it is not class A. What is it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.

It is a class B misdemeanor:

(720 ILCS 5/21-3) (from Ch. 38, par. 21-3)
Sec. 21-3. Criminal trespass to real property.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (a-5), whoever:
(1) knowingly and without lawful authority enters or

remains within or on a building; or
(2) enters upon the land of another, after receiving,
prior to such entry, notice from the owner or occupant that such entry is forbidden; or
(3) remains upon the land of another, after receiving
notice from the owner or occupant to depart; or
(3.5) presents false documents or falsely represents
his or her identity orally to the owner or occupant of a building or land in order to obtain permission from the owner or occupant to enter or remain in the building or on the land;
commits a Class B misdemeanor.

You won't find alcohol related crimes in the criminal code, because they are part of the Liquor law act. Under 235 ILCS 5/6-20, possession of of Alcohol (whether open or unopened) is considered a Class A misdemeanor

They are felonies:

Institutional vandalism is a Class 3 felony if the damage to the property does not exceed $300. Institutional vandalism is a Class 2 felony if the damage to the property exceeds $300. Institutional vandalism is a Class 2 felony for any second or subsequent offense.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.