CrimDefense
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
9540344

I have a question for a friend and need to get an answer... Long

I have a question for a friend and need to get an answer...

Long story short, he was involved in a scam and has pleaded guilty to a federal crime. The crime was a white collar crime and after the plea agreement with the AUSA, he has recieved an offense level of 8, which falls in Zone A.

No prior criminal history what so ever, has full time job, and a full time grad student..Lawyer says chances are very good he will only get probation..Do you agree?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.

With no prior criminal history and his ability to pay restitution (if required), he should have a chance at probation. As always, the Judge has discretion. There are guidelines which the Judge could follow and as long as he is within the sentencing guidelines, probation is certainly an option.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What are the chances? What do they base this off of?

It is based upon prior criminal history, the victim, the nature of the act, the remorse the defendant has shown and the discretion of the Judge to determine if the sentence imposed fits the crime committed. If the attorney is telling him he has a good chance, then he need to rely on the advice of his attorney, who knows the facts of his case and has spoken with the prosecutor.
Thank you for allowing me to answer your question. Please click the ACCEPT button, so I can get credit for my answer.