CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

I have been charged with a simple misdemeaner 5th degree theft

Customer Question

I have been charged with a simple misdemeaner 5th degree theft from a local dept. store. I have no idea what is going to happen, i don't know if I need to get a lawyer, I don't know how much this costs. I have never been in trouble before, and I don't know why I did what I did. Do you have any suggestions for me? I am in iowa and the stuff was worth about $22.00. Have I learned my lesson oh yes!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 6 years ago.
As a first time offender, you can ask at your first court appearance, if there is a diversion program you can enter into, to case the case dismissed. These programs normally require you stay out of trouble for a stated period of time, pay some fines, perform community service and sometimes take a shoplifters education class. You can certainly hire a lawyer and they can look at the facts of your case and see if you have any legal defenses. For a charge like this, it could cost between $750-$1500.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can i represent myself and ask for this diversion program or do I need to higher an attorney for that? What kind of a fine am I looking at?

You can do it yourself. The fine is at the discretion of the court and normally set by the diversion program. It could range from $150-$300, but could be more or less.