Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
19127644

My 19 year old daughter got a first DUI (blew .15) in Dickinson,

My 19 year old daughter got a first DUI (blew .15) in Dickinson, ND where she is attending school. Is it advisiable to have legal representaion. I think it is a maximum of $1000 fine adn 91 days suspension
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Any time someone is charged with a crime it is advisable to at least consult with a competent attorney. In this case, since your daughter is so young and still has her career and many financial thresholds ahead of her, I would definitely consider hiring an attorney to represent her. These days, many employers and financial institutions do complete background checks and DUI convictions can effect their decisions. An attorney, depending on the circumstances and evidence in the case, may be able to get the charges dismissed or at least reduced to a lesser charge like reckless driving. In addition a good DUI attorney can also often get punishment reduced.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks that is the way I am leaning. At least a public defender I thought would be better than outright pleading guilty.
Hello again,

If she qualifies for a public defender then she should definitely ask for one. In addition, even if she were going in with no attorney, I would recommend she plead not guilty and make the government prove their case. You're welcome and good luck to your daughter.