P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.

My daughter got her first Minor in Pocession and needs to plead

Customer Question

My daughter got her first Minor in Pocession and needs to plead in court this morning. U of A offers a diversion proram for first offences. is she better off pleading not guilty so she doesnt have this on her recored forever?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist. Sure, she is better of pleading not guilty IF she is not guilty or if the state can not prove her guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. However, if she is guilty and the state can prove it...Diversion is an excellent program...this will prevent the conviction and in CA, after a period of time she can apply to expunge (seal) the record.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She blew a .038 on a breathalizer. So she is better off pleading Guilty and asking for the diversion program then Not Guilty and asking for the diversion program?
Sorry for the confusion.

She will need to plea guilty to get diversion. If she pleas not guilty, they will not offer diversion.