JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I have an assault case where a car load of kids were harassing

I have an assault case where a car load of kids were harassing me for about 6 months. I ended up chasing the car and punching the windshield, breaking it. I have been charged with a felony assault for every person in the car. What should i do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Have you gone to court, yet? Where do things stand there?

Why do you think the lawyer you hired is incompetent?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have my arrainment tommarow. I hired the lawyer because he is a client of mine and looking over his ad in the yellow pages, he does not mention criminal law. I don't like the way he handles it becouse he sees me as 100% guilty. My lawyer has information on the case but does not tell me anything about it. He say he knows for a fact that people have been harrasing me for 6 years, but he does not tell me how he knows it. He says it does not matter if they harras me as I am the one who broke the law. My lawyer stated he would help me with a few other things, like refer a someone for anger management and he never got back to me. When i found a someone to talk to about my depression due to this, he feels I am "a soulful person who was pushed over the edge".
So, are you interested in a plea bargain or do you want to take your case all the way to trial in the hopes of winning a "not guilty" verdict?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It looks like we are going for a plea bargain. Can that be done at the arrainment? The problem is I am not sure if that is the best way to go, if htis kid wasnt on my road harrassing me this would have never happened. I have been punked by this kid. I just don't know, as I stated my lawyer is telling me nothing and this is why I call him incompedent. I just dont know, its all so stupid and felony assult seems a bit extreem to me..

I understand your frustration. However, the only defense you'd have for your described actions is if you were immediately being threatened and acted in self-defense.

As for a plea bargain at the arraignment, it depends. If the prosecutor is at court at the time of your arraignment, then, yes, your attorney can meet with the prosecutor and see what offer is on the table. Otherwise, you'll get a new court date, probably called a "pre-trial" and that's when your attorney will meet with the prosecutor to explore any possible plea agreements.

You can't blame your attorney for the level of charges that were lodged. There is nothing wrong, however, in your demanding better communication from him.

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.