Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

What penalty is involved in a shop lifting, first offense,

What penalty is involved in a shop lifting, first offense, value under $100?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

There are a few ways that shoplifting can be charged in Florida that depend on the facts of the case. The way it is charged is what determines the maximum punishment. Do you know what the statutory cite on the police report was or whether this was charged as a misdemeanor, and if so, what level?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know what was cited. All I know is that this was groceries of some kind, I believe it was in Pasco County, and she was taken to a police station in Land O Lakes. This happened on Friday, October 30th.
Hello again,

Assuming that she was not charged with any aggravating factors, the maximum penalty for a second degree misdemeanor is 60 days in jail and a fine of $500. Having said that, it is highly unlikely that she will receive any jail time and her fine will probably be no higher than the value of what she took. If she can't afford it, the judge can give her public service instead of a fine. She will still though have to pay court fees.