How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife had to much to drink saturday and blacked out we had

This answer was rated:

My wife had to much to drink saturday and blacked out we had a huge fight and she assaulted me and was charged and sent to jail we bailed her out and sunday morning she didnt remember everything that was going on though she remembered the fight she is a wonderful mom and wife she has never been arrested before and she has to be at court this morning in 2 hours and we don't know if she needs to plea not guilty, no contest, or guilty can you help us out quickly thanks concerned husband.

A domestic violence conviction will be on her criminal record forever. This will affect her ability to get a job, possibly affect her ability to get a loan in the future, and prevent anyone in the home where she resides from possessing a firearm.


Therefore, if possible, it's important to get the charge dismissed. The most likely way to do this is to negotiate a deferred dismissal that allows her to undergo counselling, community service in exchange for a dismissal of the charges once she completes those requirements.


In order to do this, she will need an attorney. So, I would definitely plead not guilty this morning and indicate to the court that she intends to get an attorney, without question. Any other plea--guilty or no contest--will end with a conviction. Being her first offense, there's a great chance that you can do better with an experienced attorney negotiating a plea.



Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.


The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. It is understood that by posting to this site, your information is made public and no attorney-client confidence is created or possible.


In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!


I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. Thank you.




J.Hazelbaker and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you