FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Does the statute of limitations run when a child who is abused

Does the statute of limitations run when a child who is abused is too young to understand and the abuser is not known until the child is long past the age of majority?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 5 years ago.

In Arizona, an abused child has either:

• 2 years from the date of the injury - Arizona Statutes § 12-542;
  • 2 years from reaching the age of majority - Arizona Statutes § 12-502;
  • 2 years from removal of a mental disability (i.e. unsound mind) - Arizona Statutes § 12-502

In Doe v. Roe (Apr. 7, 1998), the Arizona Supreme Court held that repressed memory may trigger the "unsound mind" exception, effectively extending the Statute of Limitations.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, if a child is abused at the age of 2 years old. The abuser is an unknown person. Information comes to light that proves the identity of the abuser, but the child is now 31, the abuser gets to walk away?

What if the abuser was a foster parent and the social worker supervisor knew that the abuse was happening and did nothing?

Criminal charges may be possible. Civil action may be possible if it falls within the repressed memory.

I suggest that you meet with local counsel to preserve any rights that you may still have. Good luck.
FiveStarLaw, Lawyer
Experience: 25 years of experience helping people like you.