Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

A person is deathly ill, just had a heart attack. Another

A person is deathly ill, just had a heart attack. Another person residing in the same domicile (relative) refuses to get medical help to that person...ambulance or 911 call or even tries to get the heart attack victim to medical help...waits until a day later while the vicXXXXX XXXXXes semi unconcious to call her sister to come and take the victom to the hospital. The victom eventually gets to the hospital a day later. Dies because of heart damage and kidney damage due to the waiting period after the heart attack before getting medical help. Is this a crime?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
buleedawg1,

It could be a crime. It could be a civil wrongful death suit. It could be neither.

The partculars here would make a difference -- for example, the initial condition of the heart attack victim and how incapacitated he was after the attack, when the household member first became aware of the problem in the first place, when the member first realized how serious it was, and what he did about it, what duty to the household member, if any, he might have had, the reason for the day's delay and the intent of the household member, along with whether, medically speaking, a trip to the hospital right afterwards would have made the difference. These are just some of the issues that come to mind.

It would not be a good idea to debate the particulars of something like this here on a public forum. If you think a crime may have been committed, you should bring this incident to the attention of the police and/or to the prosecutor's office, and let them take this from there.

_____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.