JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

i am currently on probation in savannah ga and got a dui last

i am currently on probation in savannah ga and got a dui last night, did not get taken into custody was ticketed and released. But would like to know if this will result in an automatic revocation of my probation which is not for anything related to alcohol or drugs
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 6 years ago.

There is no automatic answer. Normally a DUI will trigger a probation violation warrant and will result in a violation of some type (partial or full). Usually this depends on a variety of circumstances such as:

1) your criminal record

2) your history of supervision

3) your probation officer's attitude of your compliance with probation

4) the prosecutor's attitude

5) the judge's attitude

There are a lot of variables in this... as you can see.

To be on the safe side you should count on a probation violation (a pretty safe bet) and that you will be facing substantial punishment for the violation (another pretty safe bet). Given this scenario I think you should immediately seek a local attorney's advice and representation. Your attorney will closely evaluate the DUI for defenses which could potentially dispose of the DUI and probation violation in one sweep. Otherwise he/she will work to resolve both cases in a manner that is acceptable to you and the State of Georgia.

Remember that you are likely under a duty to report this to your probation officer so get in to see an attorney first thing in the morning. Then make the call to your probation officer.

Please reply if I can help further.

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.