AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.

My son (on a learners permit) was driving with my husband.

My son (on a learners permit) was driving with my husband. The light turned yellow right before he crossed the line. My husband told him to go. The light turned red as they were 3/4 of the way through the intersection. He was pulled over and given a ticket for disobeying a traffic signal. My husband went back and timed the light and it was under 3 second yellow light and state law for illinois is a minimum of 4.3 seconds. Can we fight this?

Dear swt,

Yes, it sounds like you can fight this on your facts! However, your husband's testimony regarding the length of time of the yellow light may not be so effective, as he may 'have reason' to lie and/or not be experienced in such measurements (I'm only presenting to you what the prosecution's position may be). Therefore, at the very least, video tape the timing of the light so you can present it in court AND, better yet, have a unbiased professional do so who can then testify that he timed it himself and then also video recorded it, via the tape, et. et.

Many years ago my father fought a speeding ticket based on the state law at the time that the amount of distance between houses or buildinging on X road dictated how low the speed limit could go. He Showed that the speed limit posted was not legal...

It will take time on the part of your husband, but they have probably been making tons of money on improper tickets for ages with this ill-timed light. Good luck!

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response. You not only answered my question but you also put a personal spin on it. This led me to know you were talking to me and not just giving me a standard response. I appreciate that and if I ever need a touch of legal advice again I will be sure to seek out YOU!!

Thank you,

Thank you Swt! That is very kind of you and I appreciate your kind words and generosity.

Stephanie Joy, Esq.