Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.

I was cited for unsafe turning movement by the CHP. I dont

I was cited for unsafe turning movement by the CHP. I don't beleive the officer saw the whole incident clearly given that he was so far back and weaving in and out of lanes. I go to court wed. nov. 4. I don't beleive that I broke any traffic laws or did any thing wrong. Can You give me any advice and can I go to traffic school If I lose in court.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me if the officer referenced any vehicle code?

Thanks

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is also limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If you contest, you lose the opportunity to do traffic school.

As to fighting a moving vehicle violation you would be challenging the validity of the facts stated by the officer. If the officer’s notes lack key details you can challenge the officer’s memory. Key details would consist of the lane you were in (should be mentioned), weather and road conditions for justifying the officer’s citation of unsafe turn and location of officer whether they had visible view of the road conditions to make the appropriate call.

I am going to assume you were cited with VC 22107. Which provides that:

No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

If this is what you were cited with you would need to focus on whether making the turn was safe, whether other vehicles could have been affected by the movement given the weather and road conditions that day.

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I plead guilty to the charge,will I be able to go to traffic school.

The event I was cited for took place on the 105 freeway goint east to the 605 freeway. I was in the the #2 lane closest to the middle divider, I signaled left to go into # XXXXX lane or the fast lane as they call It. I checked all mirrors to make sure It was safe. I saw in my rearview mirror a car In the #1 lane at a safe distance, I started to cross over to next lane and as I did the car came right up to left back side of my vehicle and very close, I swirved back in my on lane and officer pulled me off the freeway onto a surface street and cited me for a violation of Unsafe Turning Movement V. C. 22107. I am not guilty of doing anything wrong accept to avoid an accident. Sincerely XXXXX XXXXX

Yes, you can do traffic school if you plea guilty if you have not previously gotten a moving violation within 18 months.

You may NOT attend traffic school if any of the following occur: (1) if violation is a misdemeanor; (2) if violation is alcohol related; (3) if mandatory court appearance is required; (4) if you have attended traffic school anywhere within the last 18 months; or (5) if you were cited for driving in excess of 25 miles per hour over the speed limit.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “AttentionCustomerrdquo; Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

AttentionCustomer This is the first time I have Used Just Answer.com. please let me know if I can Press the ACCEPT button and still finish my session with you about the topic in question: UNSAFE TURNING MOVEMENT. On the last reply I sent I gave more detailed Info. on the event that happened that day. I hope to get your answer on that. Anyway let me know and I will click the Accept Immediatly. THANKS SO MUSH FOR ALL THE HELP YOU HAVE GIVEN SO FAR IN SUCH A TIMELY MANNER.

Sincerely XXXXX

Thank you for your reply.

I just reviewed your additional information. Unfortunately my serving back to your original lane the officer can argue that your move was unsafe given that the statute you were cited with merely requires a showing that the turn was not reasonable when you were doing it. Although I cannot conclude what a court of law would say if you contested this, in my legal opinion it would be better to do traffic school if you have not had a prior moving violation in the last 18 months.

Yes, you can accept at anytime and your session will not close out.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable in the subject matter.