Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

how long does the writ of habeas corpus usually take to be

how long does the writ of habeas corpus usually take to be brought for a hearing in texas
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

This depends on the situation. Can you tell me a little more? This is criminal I assume. Conviction already, or no? Etc, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have exhausted my appeal process, i have been on appeal bond for 3 years, my lawyers have the writ ready iam going to turn myself in this week i am wounderinf how long befoe or how long the district court has to respond

Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
According to Texas Code of Criminal Procedure - Article 11.11, The time so appointed shall be the earliest day which the judge can devote to
hearing the cause of the applicant. In reality, this usually means about a week to ten days between filing and hearing. Busy counties (Harris, for example) can take up to two weeks.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”