How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 6390
Experience:  20 years experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a new court appointed attorney in Alabama I have

Customer Question

How do I get a new court appointed attorney in Alabama? I have tried to talk to anyone who will listen.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 years ago.


Depending on the jurisdiction, you may have to make this initial request to the judge or to the public defender's office. The judge and/or public defender's office will look at your reasons for wanting a new court-appointed lawyer, and will also consider whether you've already changed lawyers on this case. A first request is usually more likely to be granted than any subsequent requests.


You can also ask your lawyer to request that they be relieved from the case. If the judge grants their motion, a new attorney may be appointed to represent you. But before agreeing to the attorney's request to withdraw from the case, get confirmation that a new attorney will be appointed to you. In some instances, the judge may interpret your agreement with the request to mean that you are able to hire and pay for a private lawyer, and no longer have a need for a court-appointed lawyer or public defender.


Please click "Accept" so that I can get credit for this answer. We can continue our conversation after that at no additional charge.

Related Criminal Law Questions