Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

My son who is 20 is charged with grand larceny $200+ and fraud

My son who is 20 is charged with grand larceny $200+ and fraud obtaining money under false pretense. We have searched and we can not find an attorney that we can afford and the courts said that my son does not qualify for a public defender. What is there left to do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

is this a first offense ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Earlier this year he was convicted of misdemeanor computer fraud $200- but that is all. He has never had any other trouble with the law.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

thank you for that information. the charges carry a possible penalty of incarceration - so he does not want to represent himself - and with a misdemeanor on his record, a plea may not be possible. the only thing he can do is contact the Va Bar Association for a referral service and consult unitl he finds an attorney who will take the matter based on a payment plan. here is a link for that

unfortunately, if he has filled out the application and does not qualify for the PD, he has to hire a private attorney.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Do you know how I can find an attorney that would accept his case under a payment plan or reduce fee?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

i provided the blue link - here - for the referral service. that is the best i can offer you. he will need to call and then get the names of attorneys who might do that