How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the subject matter.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 16 year old son was recently arrested in CT state for 21A-279(C)

Resolved Question:

My 16 year old son was recently arrested in CT state for 21A-279(C) and 21A-267(A). He claims to have only tried marijuna once recently and that the items found by police in his back pack at school were planted on him by the same students that reported him. What should my future course of action be with a court date of October 13th?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Both of these are considered misdemeanor offenses for which first time offenders have the following consequences:

First offense: up to 1-year jail term, up to a $1,000 fine

Since he is 16 and is his first time offense he would be eligible to get his sentence deferred, meaning that his sentence will be set aside for some period of time (typically a year) and his sentence could be dropped after he performs certain conditions set by the court to get it dismissed in the future. This could mean doing community service, staying out of trouble for that one year. Then he comes back and his case is dropped. This is something that would need to be negotiated with the prosecuting attorney, so having criminal defense attorney to assist would be ideal. If you are unable to afford a criminal defense attorney, your son can request a public defender to represent him.

So at the present time, it would be wise to search for some local criminal attorneys otherwise wait for the court date and request a public defender.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, doing research on your question, called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions