Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My 45 year old brother-in-law was sexually abused from the

My 45 year old brother-in-law was sexually abused from the ages of 8 to 10 in the state of Maryland. Is it too late to prosecute the abuser?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
MD is one of the states with no statute of limitations on felony sexual abuse to prosecute someone criminally and they have a 7 year statute of limitations from the date the victim turned 18 for the victim to file a civil suit. Thus, your brother in law can go to the DA and seek to file charges and it is up to the DA as to whether or not to pursue these charges.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”