LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

I have a minor theft on my record from over 10 years ago (tennis

I have a minor theft on my record from over 10 years ago (tennis shoes). I went through the 1st set of doors to get gum balls only...did not leave the store. I did not have the money for an attorney back then so it is on my record. Can that be erased from my record. I have never before then or after done anything wrong.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You most likely do qualify for an expungement of your record. The process is fairly simple in the state of Illinois. You will need to fill out the appropriate from, submit it to the Circuit Court Clerk's office in the county in which you were convicted.

Here is a link to a site that will give you additional instructions as well as allow you to download the necessary paperwork to fill out for the court:

I wish you the best in your future.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,