Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

I live in Savannah, Georgia and Im 20 years old. My mom kicked

I live in Savannah, Georgia and I'm 20 years old. My mom kicked me out of her and her boyfriends house 3 weeks ago. My car was in the shop for repair and I called the shop and told them not to release the car to anyone but me. I was in the process of getting the money to pay for the repairs. I was told they wouldn't let anyone else but me pick the car up. I just found out my Mom's boyfriend paid for the repairs and took the car. The car is registered in my name, I have the title. They are now refusing to give me my car, can I report the car stolen? How do I get my car back?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.

If you are the only person listed on the title and registration, and your mother nor her boyfriend were given permission to take your vehicle, then your mother's boyfriend unlawfully took you car. If you have attempted to get your car back from you mom and her boyfriend, and were unsuccessful, then you can report the vehicle as stolen to both the police and your insurance company. The biggest hurdle for you to overcome with supporting your claim of theft though is if your mom or her boyfriend had a key to your car. It isn't necessarily determinative, but it does indicate that they had permission at one time. Of course, you can counter that claim with the fact that they did not return the vehicle to you when you demanded return.