Bappelman
Bappelman, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Former Public Defender, Founder and Criminal Defense Attorney at Appelman Criminal Defense LLC.
11079390

Are prank magazine subscriptions traceable if they were made

Are prank magazine subscriptions traceable if they were made using the subscription cards in a magazine? I've been getting various magazines for past several weeks which were not ordered by me. How can I catch the person who did it? At this time, I have no idea who did it, and some of the magazines have sent me only copies of the subscription cards, the handwriting on which I don't recognize. What are the chances of success in a case such as this? Am I wasting my time trying to do anything other than canceling the subscriptions?

It would be very near impossible to trace who is sending you these magazine subscriptions.

Unless you could get a hold of the actual cards that were filled out and mailed in. If you get one, the police could try to fingerprint it. But by this point many people have handled the cards - the mail man, workers at the magazine, etc...

I would tell you to not waste your time trying to find the person responsible this way, or ever. Unfortunately this will probably remain an unsolved crime.

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I don't want to take too much of your time, but just need a thing or two clarified: 1) Do the magazines even keep the original cards? 2) Does fingerprinting cost a lost of time and money under these circumstances and have you ever heard it being done in such a matter? 3) Assuming that it could be done, are you saying that because too many people have touched the cards, it is pretty useless for fingerprinting purposes or too time consuming?
1. I would guess that the magazines throw the cards out once they get the info off of them.

2. Fingerprinting does cost a lot of money and time. I think this case is much too small for any police department to spend their resources on it.

3. Even if it could be done, too many people have probably touched the cards to make getting any kind of evidence off of it near impossible.