Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
9112957

I worked at a restaurant where my boss was a jerk. When I

I worked at a restaurant where my boss was a jerk. When I quit my job, he threatened me that if I did quit, he'd make my life miserable. His way of doing so has been to threaten pressing charges against me for flirting with his boyfriend, specifically slapping his boyfriend's butt with a check presenter. Is this total baloney or, if not, how can I go about handling this if my boss does try to press charges against for me flirting...
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

In Florida, a misdemeanor battery can be committed if the defendant touches the victim in an offensive manner. Thus, potentially, slapping someone on the butt could be offensive, and therefore battery.

Your boss would not be able to press charges against you. The boyfriend would have to do it.

Hopefully, since this is being threatened, there were other witnesses at work who could testify that the boyfriend did not seem offended by the contact.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. This public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Gloria,

The boyfriend was definitely not offended. Earlier that day he had been flirting with me, including touching my chest lightly with his fingers. I know there were people who saw what happened who also saw that he smiled and did not react negatively at all.

But I know my boss is furious that I quit, and he is a vindictive creep. I only worked at this place a couple of weeks before I realized what a horrible place it is. Should I go to the police station and preemptively discuss the situation with them? Moreover, my boss is saying horrible things about me in general now that I'm gone - things that are completely untrue, like that I abuse drugs, that I sexually harassed my coworkers, etc. Is he allowed to do that and get away with it?

-Customer
HelloCustomer

There really is nothing for you to report to the police, and they will not take a report of good behavior.

From a legal standpoint, your boss may be committing acts of defamation against you. That means making statements to others that the person knows to be false and that harm your reputation in the community. That is not a crime, but potentially the grounds for a civil action (a lawsuit).

If you wanted to pursue this, you would need to have an in-office consultation with a local lawyer to review all of the facts. Possibly, if you had the lawyer write a cease and desist letter to your former boss, demanding that your boss stop spreading damaging untruths about you or you will take legal action, your boss may stop. Otherwise, the only alternative would be to follow through and sue your boss.

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M