Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Am I breaking any Minnespota laws by appearing topless in public,

Am I breaking any Minnespota laws by appearing topless in public, such as at the beach? I am female and have had a double mastectomy, no reconstruction. I have no breast tissue left, only scars.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
I have looked up the Minnesota indecent exposure statute, and your partner would not be breaking the law, which requires the which requires the intent to be lewd. (See statute)

Nevertheless, though I believe the marina would have a hard time criminally prosecuting your partner under this statute, on the civil side, if this is a private marina, they are free to enforce their "no topless women" policy. She could attempt to counter that with a discrimination claim. It all depends on how vested an interest she has in going topless at the marina.

_____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.