Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

i recently (9/8/09) received a MOTION TO SET ASIDE AND DISMISSED

Customer Question

i recently (9/8/09) received a MOTION TO SET ASIDE AND DISMISSED PROSECUTION, PURSUANT TO ARTICLE 893 AS IT WAS WRITTEN BACK IN 8/19/92. I READ ONLINE THAT THE LAW 15:542.1 DUTY TO REGISTER STATES A "SET ASIDE" IS OFF THE HOOK TO REGISTER. I HAVE A COPY IN FRONT OF ME. BUT CANNOT FIND IT ON ANOTHER SITE. THIS SITE WAS A GOOGLE SEARCH FOR 15:542.1 "DUTY TO REGSTER" SECTION.
ANY ADVICE
THANKS RICH
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Under Art. 893, this is the expungement statute in LA, and once a case has been expunged the case is as though it never occurred and thus registration should no longer be required under RS 15:542.1. You need to file the 893 with the state registry and if they will not honor it, then you need to return to the court for them to issue an order to honor the dismissal/expungement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”