socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

California Vehicle Code Section 13004 id had one number altered

Customer Question

California Vehicle Code Section 13004 id had one number altered for an acting job and then ticket, and they will give 10 hours hard labor cal trans to dismiss...any other options??
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Since there is no Vehicle Code 13004, I really don't know what you're talking about. Feel free to elaborate.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
s Section 13004(a) possess fraudulent identification card. The crd in question had one date altered to make year 3 years diff. Was not used for crim purpose, had been used for actnig job by actor. Court saying 10 hours hard labor Cal trans (California) to dismiss or fine and remains on record. Recommendaitons? Can it be expunged? Is it a gross crime?

I'm sorry, you're right. I was looking at 11304, not 13004. That said, it's not realy "hard labor," it's picking up trash on the freeway, or painting over graffiti. "Hard labor" is using a sledgehammer to smash rocks -- that doesn't happen very often, except in some of those down home southern states.

Assuming that the court is offering you a dismissal for 10 hours community service, you would have to be nuts to refuse, because it will mean no record -- which is a flat-out gift!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. The guy is older and can't do 8 hours in sun picking trash. So they said graffitti is not an option but only Cal Trans. Can it be negotiated with a doctors certificate? and is it bad to have that kind of misdemeanor on record anyway? An altered ID that juts had a different birthdaye not to buy beer or do anything illegal, Also, need to relay If it was on the record, could it later be expunged?

Any crime on your ID is an issue in this wonderfully punitive society we live in today. Celebrities can get away with it, but the ordinary person, if they need a job, will be turned away from just about all employment opportunities.

I think that a physician's testimony about the convict's inability to stay in the sun may be useful. Maybe he can negotiate to work 2 hours at a time for 5 days, or something like that.