AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

Is there a statute of limitations on a felony charge in the

Is there a statute of limitations on a felony charge in the state of florida. A warrent was issued with ROR on it in 1999. The person has never been arrested and has been living in another state since 1999.

Disclaimer
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.
By reading further, you understand and agree to all that is written above.

_____________________________________

Answer:

Felony charges in Florida do typically carry a statute of limitations. However, the statute of limitations tends to vary based on the severity of the felony (usually 3-4 years unless a capital felony, life felony, or felony resulting in a death (in which no limitation applies)).
775.15 F.S.

Further, the statute of limitations may be tolled (postponed) for a period during which the person is absent from the state. The statute of limitations may also be tolled when the person is evading arrest in another state. 775.15(5) F.S.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0775/Sec15.HTM

If you need additional clarification, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. I left the state due to domestic violance from my partner 10 years ago. I did not know that I had charges until just yesterday. I have lived in N.Carolina for 10 years and own my own business and a very active member of the community . Been in traffic stops too but never told I had a warrent for my arrest or been arrested. Would they not have issued me a NC driver licence if I was wanted?

Disclaimer

_____________________________________

Answer:

Sometimes such matters take a while to catch up to people. While I am not very familiar with local DMV procedures regarding such matters (and while DMV procedures for such matters on a state-to-state basis), I do not believe having a warrant in one state should necessarily prohibit a person from obtaining a license in another state. Again, different states would have different procedures regarding such matters.

You would be prudent to retain a licensed Florida attorney to represent you in your matter. Evading a warrant, in the long term, can be a bad move. However, you should speak, over the phone, to a licensed Florida attorney. He will help you evaluate your best course of action in your particular situation such that you might be able to resolve the matter.

Please click the green