Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

My son was convicted of heroin possession 11 years ago. Hes

My son was convicted of heroin possession 11 years ago. He's been clean and sober for 11 years and has excellent character references and proof of rehabilitation. He wants to teach in CA. Can he get his record expunged?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 4 years ago.
Where was the conviction?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Santa Cruz county, CA (but his court proceedings were in Marin county???)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
(Not sure this went thru, so sending again). He was arrested in Santa Cruz County, but court appearance was in Marin County...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi...are you still there?

Disclaimer
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.
By reading further, you understand and agree to all that is written above.

_____________________________________

Answer:

I apologize for the delay. Occasionally, it takes a few minutes to provide a response to a question due to researching and/or other customer requests.

In California, a person may petition to have his misdemeanor or felony record expunged provided he has completed his sentence (including probation and fines). While there are some exceptions to expungement eligibility, the exceptions usually apply to sex or driving crimes.

However, it is also worth noting that the statute you cited does not necessarily require expungement for rehabilitation to be determined. Accordingly, while an expungement may be beneficial, it may not be entirely necessary to achieve your son's means.

It is always prudent to retain an attorney for such matters to ensure that proper procedure is followed and to help increase the probabiltiy of the best outcome available.

If you need additional clarification, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you know of any firms in CA that are reputable in this arena? I understand you are not making a recommendation.
Unfortunately, I am unable to provide direct referrals on JustAnswer. However, many criminal defense attorneys are proficient in the expungement process. Further, the California State Bar provides a lawyer referral service:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10182
Lawyer Referral Services Program (LRS)
The State Bar of California
XXXXXbr /> San Francisco, CA 94105
e-mail: LRS@calbar.ca.gov
1-866-442-2529 or 866-44-CA-LAW
(toll free in California)
415-538-2250
(from outside California)

Please click the green Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney