Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

Type your legal question here... If you are an adult and

Type your legal question here...

If you are an adult and have a sealed juvenile record with an arrest and disposition of dismissed is it worthwhile to get it expunged?

This happened in NJ - 20 years ago. "No record" found after arrest was revealed to military. They looked for the record but found nothing.

Should I let sleeping dogs lie?
When your juvenile records are sealed, no one can access them without a court order. So it is pretty safe to say that they are not going to be a problem for you. However, expungement applications are relatively simple, and if it would help you get peace of mind, it may be worth it for you to pursue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will the juvenile sealed records very existance show up - never mind the details- when doing a FBI records check, NICS check, or secret clearance check?

What about adult records that have been sealed and have a dismissal?

Thanks Prosecutor for your help so far!!!
Nothing in a sealed juvenile record should come up in any kind of background check, including its very existence.

In terms of an adult record, if there is a dismissal that was expunged, law enforcement still has access to expunged records. It would not come up in a background check, but a law enforcement agency would be aware that there was a record that was expunged.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well the adult record is sealed. Will that come up?
Law enforcement would have access to it, but it would not come up in a background check.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was reading that ALL the records of the arrest will be returned to me or my lawyer if I got an expungemnt. That was said to include mugshot and prints along with other records like the written description of the event. If that is the case, how can there be a record left? There was an article about expungements in the NY Times

I appreciate your help so far and will be willing to pay an additional $10 for your answer since this is taking up time. Thanks!!!
There is still a notation about the expungement that is available to law enforcement. This is done because some expungements are only available to first-time offenders, and the only way to know if a person is truly a first-time offender and has never received the benefit of an expungement is to be able to know if the person has received an expungement. But like I said, it is not a publicly available record, and it is accessible only to law enforcement and not through any kind of background check.