Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.
9112957

can a man who is 24 get in trouble because of masturbating

can a man who is 24 get in trouble because of masturbating a patient he took care of one time when he was 16?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for asking Just Answer:

If the patient was 16 then, yes. here is the New York state statute on sodomy:

S 130.40 Sodomy in the third degree.
A person is guilty of sodomy in the third degree when: 1. He or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with a person who
is incapable of consent by reason of some factor other than being less than seventeen years old; 2. Being twenty-one years old or more, he or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with a person less than seventeen years old; or 3. He or she engages in deviate sexual intercourse with another person without such person`s consent where such lack of consent is by reason of some factor other than incapacity to consent. Sodomy in the third degree is a class E felony.

Please click Accept so that I receive credit for my response.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry I miss typed. The patient was a older incapacitated person and the healthcare worker was 16.
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I note that John Wills has opted out. I will try to assist you.

In order to answer your question, I need more information. It would be helpful to know:

1) Was the healthcare worker prosecuted as juvenile at the time? OR

2) Is there a concern that he still might be prosecuted?

3) If so, were any complaints made or police reports filed around the time of the incident?

Thanks!

Gloria M

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely informational and educational. This public forum is designed to provide only general information, to give you a basis of legal knowledge. This public forum does not give you attorney-client privilege. You and I have not entered into an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No no complaints were filed and no one knew about the incident. Until it was mentioned by the employee who confessed to a friend.
HelloCustomer

While it is sometimes possible to prosecute a defendant some years after the incident based upon a confession, there generally needs to be some corroborating evidence, whether testimony from the victim, DNA evidence, etc.

In your case, since it has been about 8 years since the incident, you have the protection of the statute of limitations, which for felonies is generally 5 years from the date of the incident.

Therefore, prosecution is unlikely.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so, or give you further explanation if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT to pay Just Answer and me for helping you. Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Gloria M."

Good luck and best wishes!

Gloria M

Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney for 22 years, criminal defense, from misdemeanors to murder, trials and appeals.