How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq. , Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 109133
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I find an attorney that will file a civil case against

Customer Question

How do I find an attorney that will file a civil case against a Texas Law Enforcement Officer? At time of incident, 5 years ago, victim's next of kin was unaware of the atrocities involved,and is only now willing to file a civil suit against either the law enforcement personel involved, entire dept.or state (aware of 2 year statute of limitations) Case involves death of victim, officer's violent work history,depraved indiffernce to human life, withholding medical attention, destroying evidence' and the police video tape (edited by police,showing several law enforcement officers walking around burn victim on ground, talking about entire incident and incriminating themselves, thus proving acusations
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this potential lawsuit seems extremely unlikely to be successful.


First, as you mentioned, the statute of limitations has long since run. Absent some creative way to get around the time limitation, the case has been lost before it was ever even filed.


The next problem is that law officers are protected by what is called qualified immunity, meaning that they cannot be sued so long as they were reasonably acting within the scope of their duties. While your statement clearly indicates the officer was NOT acting reasonably within the scope of his duties, this can be difficult to prove.


As to locating an attorney, you should research a few in your area that take on suits involving law enforcement. As you might imagine, this is a fairly small group of attorneys. Additionally, you may need to look slightly outside of your immediate area. The reason for this may be obvious, many attorneys are unwilling to sue police officers within their immediate area. Regardless, the Texas State Bar Association has a website, it is located at


With just a bit of research, you should be able to find an attorney that handles such suits and that would be willing and able to thoroughly analyze your situation.


I hope my information proved helpful. If so, please click the green ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my efforts. Your question will not close and you will be permitted to follow up, if necessary. Positive feedback and bonuses are not required but greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

You haven't provided any new information for me.

Another lawyer involved with prosecuting law enforcement was trying to answer before you were connected. I'd be more interested in hearing from him.

Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry you feel that way and I suspect most attorneys would provide the same information I detailed above. Regardless, I will opt out and see if any other experts can assist you.


I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Your previous expert was right regarding a civil tort claim against the law enforcement agency regarding their qualified immunity and the two year statute of limitations which you would not be able to circumvent. HOWEVER, you do have another possibility here and that is a claim for CIVIL RIGHTS VIOLATIONS, which have NO STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS. But, to proceed with a civil rights violation you would need to prove that they acted unlawfully in violation of his civil rights under the color of law. It seems based upon the facts you have provided that causing his death, the history of violence and if you can demonstrate the actions against him by the officer were not justifiable based upon the situation, then you can have a good civil rights claim. The problem with civil rights claims is that they are very difficult and handled only by a small group of attornies and can take a very long time to pursue. You need to start by finding a civil rights attorney in the area and this can mean interviewing numerous civil rights attorneys since they take on so few cases at one time and the best place to find one is the same site used by other attorneys to locate attorneys when needed,

You can also file a civil rights violation criminal complaint through the FBI and US Attorney's Office for criminal investigation if you choose.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 109133
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Law Educator, Esq. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions