Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  over 20 years of legal and professor of law experience

My son (then 19 year old) was arrested for minor in consumption.

My son (then 19 year old) was arrested for minor in consumption. He surrendered his driver's license and was issued a temporary one that allowed him to drive only to school and work. We were given a court date, which we went to. They did not have the paperwork so told us to go home and they would send us a certified letter with a new court date. That never came.
After a year my son went to the driver's bureau and said, "I lost my license," and got a new driver's license. He understood that the suspension was for a year, but did not check with the court. Now, there is a warrant out for him because he did not appear at the original court date.
Is this anything to be concerned about?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Yes he needs to be concerned. When he didnt receive the new court date he should have contacted the court. The case didnt go away. Perhaps his notice got lost in the mail but that warrant has been outstanding for awhile. He needs to explain to the court that he never received the notice. I can not say how receptive the Judge will be about him not returning to court or calling the court to find out his new court date allowing a year to pass. However, so long as he is honest with the Judge and not try to blame the court for his nonappearance, then the matter should be wrapped up without him going to jail. I do suggest that you either retain an attorney or ask the judge to appoint an attorney to represent your son.