JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor

Can you go to jail for fraud

Can you go to jail for fraud
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Absolutely. There are many varieties and types of fraud/theft/etc so if you provide a bit more information I can give you more specifics.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am charged with fraud from Workmans Compensation because I didn't tell them about prior injuries in my case. They had nothing to do with my elbow which is my present injury and they weren't workmans compensation related. Can I still go to jail?
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.
Have they arrested you of just accused you of it in the worker's compensation claim? If you were charged with a crime (arrested) please tell me exactly what code section they charged (check the documentation).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No just accused me of it. They are continuing to pay me workmans compensation benefits until the hearing. They are calling in the ime doctors for testimony. They owe me a settlement. Could I lose that instead of jail if they find me guilty?
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

There's an article I want you to read...

Please understand that workers compensation fraud is a serious issue that could be prosecuted in a variety of ways and have severe consequences. While I do not know the details of your case, you indicated that you were accused of not disclosing a preexisting condition that had nothing to do with your injury. This sounds to me like a scare tactic to get you to settle a claim for less than it is worth. You should not let them scare you into a settlement that is unjust.

You need a lawyer. Insurance companies are notorious for abusing people in settlement proceedings. You need someone to work with you and help you get what is just and fair... do not let them scare you into submission.

Your lawyer will help you settle your claim fairly and protect you from criminal prosecution. If your prior injuries had nothing to do with the present injury and you did not hide it to increase your workers compensation settlement then you are not likely guilty of any crime.

Get a lawyer.

Please reply if I can help further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a workmans comp lawyer, but I was advised to get an criminal lawyer. Can I represent myself or can my workmans comp lawyer help me in this matter?
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.
If your workers compensation lawyer says he/she can help with the criminal aspect... fine. If not... consult a criminal lawyer as advised. Sometimes the two don't mix.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you soooooo very much for your advise. I am a mother of two and have been so scared that I will go to jail. I think you are right about scare tactic because my case is over 2 years old. I had surgery on my arm and I think my case is worth reasonable settlement? Thanks again.
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Good luck!