Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

for Missouri, criminal case, what is the difference between

Customer Question

for Missouri, criminal case, what is the difference between Criminal Setting and Preliminary Hearing? I do know that for CS the defendant does have to show up, only the attorney. I also read that for PH, if the defendant waives the PH, then it is bound over for trial. Otherwise the defendant shows up and everything is heard and it either goes to trial, something is worked out (which it is going to be) or else it is dismissed. My question is: At the PH, does the defendant have to be there? I want to be there for the case but don't want to drive 250 miles if the defendant does not have to be presnt.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
At the preliminary hearing, since facts of the case will be discussed and possibly even heard by the court, the defendant cannot waive their presence, especially since any deals made would require explaination to and consent of the defendant. The criminal setting is just where the case is set on a docket and no real facts of the case are discussed so this is why the presence of the defendant can be waived. In rare instances, the court for medical reasons or sufficient good cause can waive the appearance of the defendant at a preliminary hearing, but this really requires some extenuating circumstances more than the distance of travel to the court.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The answer was what I thought it was, the defendant has to be there. I will be driving the 250 miles to stare the bitch in the face. Thanks for the informtion. It was worth the $28 and the $10 tip! Amazing what a little money can buy especially when people think you can't find out anything on them. There are no secrets in this world and don't you ever forget it! Thanks again. I will remember your services.
Thank you very much.