Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

what are the consequences of absconding from probation with

what are the consequences of absconding from probation with 2 mist.?
Is there a statute of limitations? Will this information be available to future employers? can you be arrested in aother state where the crime did not occur?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
If you have absconded from probation and there is a warrant for your arrest, you are a fugitve from justice. There is no statute of limitations on a fugitive warrant. It will be there against you unless or until you return to court and have the warrant vacated.

The warrant will turn up anywhere in the US or its territories whenever a background check is run. For example, if you're stopped for a broken taillight, or a prospective employer checks into your criminal history they will find it. You could be arrested on this warrant and held in jail (in many states with no possibility of bail) to see if the wanting state plans on coming to pick you up. If they choose not to extradite you -- which they generally won't do on misdemeanor charges -- you would be let go, but you could sit in jail and wait for a bit until that happened. And this could happen again and again as long as the warrant was still out there.

If you do go back to get the warrant vacated, you are likely to face some jail for having absconded. But it may be better than a whole life of lookiing over your shoulder. You probably had a lawyer on your probation case. You ought to call him and find out what the worst you'd be looking at will be if you came back to vacate the warrant.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.