HPlawyer
HPlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  GA Lawyer
17407822

What is the process to get a PR bond

Customer Question

What is the process to get a PR bond?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  HPlawyer replied 7 years ago.
Greetings,

A "PR" Bond is a personal recognizance bond, sometimes called a signature bond, whereby an individual attests that he or she will return to court.

PR bonds must generally be requested when the judge is setting bond, or sometimes, a motion may be made with a judge at a later date to reduce an established bond to a PR bond.

There is no process per se to get a PR bond other than requesting one from the judge, but generally, there are certain factors you should keep in mind, including the following:

(1) PR bonds are generally allowed at the discretion of the judge.
(2) PR bonds will generally only be allowed for relatively minor offenses or allegations. For instance, a judge will most likely not allow a PR bond for allegations pertaining to murder, rape, or other violent offenses.
(3) When deciding whether to allow a PR bond, judges will consider whether this is the defendant's first purported offense or whether the defendant has been previously convicted of a crime or crimes (and if so, the nature of the crime(s))..
(4) Judges will consider whether the defendant has spent a significant and continuous amount of time in the area, whether the defendant has a home or family in the area, and whether the defendant has steady employment in the area. In other words, the judge wants reason to believe the defendant has enough at stake so that the defendant will voluntarily return to court and will not simply flee.
(5) Some judges are simply more prone to allowing signature or PR bonds than other judges. I have dealt with judges who almost never allow PR bonds, even for relatively minor cases, and I have also dealt with judges that are relatively flexible when it comes to granting PR bonds.

From my personal experience in Georgia courts, judges are much more likely to grant PR or signature bonds if the defendant is represented by counsel.

I hope this information is helpful.

Last but not least, I have to provide you my disclaimer.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, absent a signed retention and engagement letter, I am not your attorney. There are no exceptions to this rule. Moreover, you shall not rely on the information I am providing you, as it is only for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Indeed, my analysis is always based on the laws of Georgia, and your jurisdiction might have substantially different laws and requirements. As such, you should always contact an attorney that practices in your local area.