Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

if a person with bipolar 2 commits a crime by fraud of a perscription

Customer Question

if a person with bipolar 2 commits a crime by fraud of a perscription can they get off for mental issues?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
If you're asking if the case will be dismissed because the defendant is bi-polar, the answer is no. If you're asking whether being bi-polar is a defense to prescription fraud, the answer is almost certainly not, unless his particular medical history was highly unusual.

On the other hand, it is likely that a person with mental issues who was forging prescriptions because of a drug problem would be able to avoid jail by availing himself of some kind of dispositon that would give him treatment for all of his medical and substance abuse issues.

________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.