Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

if a person with bipolar 2 commits a crime by fraud of a perscription

Customer Question

if a person with bipolar 2 commits a crime by fraud of a perscription can they get off for mental issues?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
If you're asking if the case will be dismissed because the defendant is bi-polar, the answer is no. If you're asking whether being bi-polar is a defense to prescription fraud, the answer is almost certainly not, unless his particular medical history was highly unusual.

On the other hand, it is likely that a person with mental issues who was forging prescriptions because of a drug problem would be able to avoid jail by availing himself of some kind of dispositon that would give him treatment for all of his medical and substance abuse issues.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.