California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California

If someone is out of prison on bail and awaiting jury trial

Customer Question

If someone is out of prison on bail and awaiting jury trial on a "not guilty"plea to drug and theft charges, can they enter a drug rehab before the trial?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 7 years ago.
I see no reason why they could not. So long as they meet any coditions of their release pending trial. This is probably an excellent way to help demonstrate to the court that the person in question is worthy of leniency.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She has twin daughters who are in foster care and the 12 month period to support reunification is up October 14, 2009. She has not done her services on a consistant basis and CPS is asking for a termination of parental rights at a Order to Show cause hearing Sept. 24, 2009. In the meantime she was arrested on the above charges and is now out on bail and does not want to go to jail. This is why I assume she is wanting to go to rehab. What is your opinion?
It certainly would not hurt, both for the new charges and the CPS matter. Any demonstration of efforts at improvement will be well received by the court.