Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I have a 15 year old son who this past Saturday & Sunday along

I have a 15 year old son who this past Saturday & Sunday along with a friend paraded themselves up and down on the shoulder of our one and only Highway on our island in their Ghillie Suits. They were causing no harm but just being silly 15 year old boys.

They were stopped Sunday by a Sherriff's Deputy via a report of suspicious activity from a passer by. The officer asked their name, phone number, date of birth and also why they were wearing the attire. My son and his friend explained they play Airsoft and use the suits when playing, but that they just felt like goofing off. The officer then showed them scars on his arm from where in training they use a paintball like gun but without the paint. The officer then asked if they had any weapons. They said no. My son said he had his cell phone and pulled it from his pocket to show the officer. The officer then asked them both to spread their legs and arms and patted them down. I feel this is inappropriate behavior. Please advise.
The officer likely had probable cause to stop and find out what they were doing on the shoulder of the highway.

However, if there was no sign of any criminal conduct, weapons, etc., the officer had no probable cause to search them.

You should see an attoreny about suing the sheriff's dept. for abuse of process, false arrest, unlawful detainer, etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have no problem with the officer's inquisition; however I have a major problem with him taking it as far as he did. I appreciate your feedback. Have a great day.

No problem and good luck.