How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26746
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson turned himself in on Friday 8/28 for breaking and

Resolved Question:

My grandson turned himself in on Friday 8/28 for breaking and entering. He was at a party drinking and broke into a home with two other boys. Zachary and one of the boys said the older boy took the items out of home. The police had his fingerprint in home, which they obtained because his grandfather had him arrested previously for taking $20. He received youthful offender status and 3 years probation. I thought they couldn't use anything from youthful offender. Also he went to them and told them everything and then turned himself in. They will not let his parents or anyone see him or talk to him. His Mother tried to drop off a christian book for him and they told her she couldn't. No one will give her any information. She can't afford a lawyer. She has no idea what is going on with her 17 year old son. He is really a good boy, but has made stupid mistakes. Please advise if there is anything we can do. Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.
<p>Since he was on probation at the time of the new offense he is going to be charged with violating probation and breaking and entering. He will have to answer to both charges. A condition to the youthful offender sentence which he previously received, was that he can not commit any new crimes. Since he violated a term of the probation by picking up a new charge, it can be used against him. If your daughter can not afford a private attorney, one will be appointed for your grandson, when he makes his first court appearance. Since he was on probation, he will likely be held until he goes in front of the Judge. Right now, you need to be patient. There is not much you can do, unless you can hire a private lawyer who can try and speed up your grandsons first appearance, so he is not sitting in jail as long. Moreover, the place where he is being held, likely has visiting hours. You can go visit him and hopefully he can provide you with more details. </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already understand that. The biggest problem is that they will not let his mother in to see him at all. he can't call her and she can't call him. she can't even leave anything for him.
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.
There is likely an intake process at the detention center. Once he is booked and processed, he should be able to contact her and receive visitors. You can also write a letter to where the facility is located and inform them that he is not being allowed to make phone calls or receive visitors. The administration could then address the issue, if it is not resolved.
CrimDefense and 6 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry for not responding sooner. I knew what you told me but was hoping for more info. I guess there is nothing to do but pray and wspy thankyou for your help.