Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Nephew pled guilty to XXXXX 2C 18-2a and 2C 20-3 (both

Nephew pled guilty to XXXXX 2C:18-2a and 2C:20-3 (both third degree) in family/juvenile court, as well as 2C:20-10d. Are any of these considered felonies? For future employment, will he have to check "yes" on employment application where it asks if you were convicted of a felony?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.
In New Jersey, all juvenile convictions will be sealed on the juvenile offender's 18th birthday. Once your nephew turns 18, no matter what his juvenile convictions were for, they will not be accessible to anyone and cannot be used against him. If all he's got is a juvenile history, for future employment, once he turns 18, he will be able to check "no" on any employment application when asked if he was ever convicted of a crime.

Jersey criminal statutes can be prosecuted as misdemeanors or felonies, so it's not possible to tell you which your nephew's would have been just by looking up the relevant section of the law. But it doesn't matter anyway. All of these will be sealed and he'll have a clean start when he turns 18.

________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice.