RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

is it illegal for an ohio resident to gamble online at bod

is it illegal for an ohio resident to gamble online at bodog.com
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Ohio does not have any specific laws that speak directly to online gaming at this time. In fact, only Michigan, Illinois, Louisiana, Oregon, Wisconsin, Washington, Indiana, Nevada, New York, New Jersey and South Dakota have such laws on the books. Although these states do have specific laws pertaining to online gaming, charges are almost never filed against individuals. Courts in Ohio have also not yet addressed the question of whether it is illegal for someone in Ohio to sit in front of a computer and wager in a jurisdiction where it may still be legal. Also, currently, there is no federal law that prohibits online gambling in the United States. So, for the time being, you have nothing to fear.

Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so as of now there is no reason to be concerned about gambling online and winning and receiving a check in the amount of approx 16,000. And since there are no laws currently, my job should be safe. I never thought about this possibly being illegal until I won. Now I'm freaking out and didn't know what to do.

Wow, you did well, congrats. I've never known anyone to win serious money with those sites.

Can I absolutely guarantee that nothing bad will happen-of course not. However, there are no laws, either federal or state, that prohibit what you are doing at this point and time, so the chance of something happening is very, very, very, remote. The U.S. government isn't interested in the small time players sitting at their computers placing bets, but at the operators of the companies themselves; in fact, there are some sites that no longer accept players from the U.S. thanks in no small part to the pressure exerted by the federal government.

You may want to consult with a tax lawyer or accountant about those winnings, since you may have to report the earnings as taxable income next year.