JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor

My boy friend is locked up had a fender bender today does not

My boy friend is locked up had a fender bender today does not have valid license suspended because of back child support, he is bi-polar, had a heart attack dec. 12th , of 08 was not treated no insurance, also just told his non hodkins lymphoma is back . He is at his wits end , all I can think of is a public defender any suggestions.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.
A public defender is the way to go for his criminal charge (driving while suspended). In the mean time, you could bail him out if you have the money.

You don't just call the public defender and they take your case. They are not free lawyers. The Court will appoint the public defender if he cannot afford a lawyer. He has to wait until he goes to court to request a public defender.

As for some of his other problems, he might consider filing for Social Security Disability (assuming he is not working). A lawyer will take his case on a contingency fee.